Pages

Follow our story from the start! - click "newer posts" at the end of each page

2.15.2012

Growing up takes work

I cut Tio's apron strings. For the past 2 years I've watched him closely, monitored, steered and pushed him to cooperate, do better at school, and get along with his brothers. The results, as I've reported in this blog, have been mixed. All the while he has insisted that he can do what's asked and expected even when there is evidence to the contrary.

Well, now is his chance to prove it. I'm not going to look over his shoulder this term. Not check his homework, not watch his back when he's out. Not monitor his activities. In other words see if he really can show responsibility and maturity without any eyes on him.

It seems the time is right. Not only because I'm going to be otherwise occupied with an illness but also because he's moving on towards 14 years old and needs to find his way. He needs to succeed or fail on his own terms in some things.

Personally, I'm rooting for him. I know he's a great kid and can meet the challenge. But he'll have to work at it because it won't happen on it's own.