Pages

Follow our story from the start! - click "newer posts" at the end of each page

3.01.2013

At Home Together Again for the First Time

The kids are away on vacation for the whole week and I haven't left the house in 4 days. I'm living in my pjs (yes - I have showered and brushed my teeth) and losing track of time being a cycle of someone else's schedule. I used to live like this all the time. I'd forgotten how liberating a completely fluid schedule can be. My sleep pattern, eating and work all fall into a natural cycle that has little to do with 9 to 5.

A lot of people would love to work at home but it's not easy. Too many incidental things just clutter up the day and  compromise level of work you can get done for the hours spent and a lot of people get lonely because it can get damn quiet. I don't mind admitting I talk to the dogs (and am happy to report they don't talk back). I've been at it for so many years now (I've only spent 2 of my almost 40 working years at an outside office/shop) that I know how to get work done and procrastinate all at the same time. I generally work 5-6 hours a day all 7 days a week.

The big change comes next week when my wife starts her official 'retirement'.We spent 10 years working and running a business together many years ago and it had it's ups and downs. Now we'll be together for the first time in almost 15 years. We're looking forward to it but it is a big change and a challenge for us both. We'll have more time to spend together and still have to find our ownmar space. It's all part of a new beginning that we don't quite know where we're headed.

Anyone who works at home with their partner always there want to share how they manage?