Pages

Follow our story from the start! - click "newer posts" at the end of each page

12.13.2010

Don’t be Rude...

A couple of weeks ago Kit was coming home every day with black marks for misbehaving in school. He has a hard time paying attention, acts out and rude to his teacher. He had been doing better but it went downhill and he just couldn’t settle down. Finally, I asked him if he even knew what disrespectful even meant when it came to his teachers. I figured if he can’t define it, he may not know he’s doing it. So we spent the homework hour one night going over disrespect and being rude and defining it but it didn’t add up for him.

I said, “If I told you it’s time to do your homework, how would you response to be rude and disrespectful?“
He wouldn’t say. I didn’t know if he didn’t know or couldn’t understand or was being obtuse because he didn’t want to. It was hard. I couldn’t get him to be rude. We went around it until Tio came up for supper.

I asked him the same question. “Kit seems to be having a problem understanding disrespect. If I said it’s time to do your homework, how would you response to be rude and disrespectful?”
“Bite me” he said without pause. Nice to know one of the boys is on top of his game.

Incidentally, Kit has been doing better since then.