Pages

Follow our story from the start! - click "newer posts" at the end of each page

5.04.2011

"The most important things are the hardest to say, because words diminish them." - Stephen King

"Love ya. Yeah, bye."

I may be all wrong on this but I'm not a big fan of constantly repeating "love you" as a salutation. I don't have anything wrong with saying 'I love you' and do to those I love. But Buddy, Sugar, Tish and the boys all say it every day as part of saying 'good night', 'see you after work', 'I'm about to hang up the phone', and a garden patch of other fond farewells. I overhear it on on other people's cell phones around town when they say goodbye to their callers.

I guess I'm in the minority on this but that's not unusual for me. I show my family love, I'd do anything for them and to protect them, but I feel constantly repeating "I love you" devalues it to mean "hello". Now, these are supposed to be important words. Relationships rise and fall on those words, historic epic poetry has balanced on them, and Troy fell for love.

I realize we live in an egalitarian society where all things are reduced to a common denominator but do we really want the sentiment of love, affection, and adoration reduced to a mere salutation?