Pages

Follow our story from the start! - click "newer posts" at the end of each page

3.19.2012

Idle hands are the devil's playthings

Had another chemo treatment today. All went well. Not too sick. Boys were good when we got home, everyone in a good mood. Can't complain. There is one side effect of the chemo that I didn't expect. It crept up on me the past couple of weeks and I think it's here to stay. I'm bored.

Thing is, I've never really been bored before. My mind has kept me busy for 35 years with my flute work, my daydreams, my writing, making movies, and a thousand other things. But the chemo has numbed my creative mind like I have writer's block for everything and I have no energy to start a new project. It's like suddenly finding your lips are swollen everytime you pick up the flute, or realizing that everything you look at is blurry and out of focus no matter where you look. 

I can't do all the usual stuff with the kids or do any building projects or housework because I get tired real fast and my immune system is low. I really don't want to get reduced to watching daytime TV, and updating my facebook every hour really isn't my thing.

I guess I'll read and readjust to a different pace of life. Maybe the fog will lift enough to let me jot a couple of fresh ideas down. In the meantime, I guess I better learn to live with a little boredom.