Kit is developing a great sense of humor. He likes to tell jokes, makes some up, and tries to sharpen his wit exchanging funny barbs with me. Unfortunately, not everyone is so fond of his banter. In fact, sometimes he doesn't know the difference between funny and backtalking, or just sarcasm, to an adult.
I have tried to explain that what sounds like a joke in his head might come across as insulting to the person he's talking to. I think he understands it but it's a subtle point. For a while he figured he could just start with the phrase "Nothing personal but..." like it's a disclaimer and then pound away with a jab. It's impossible to give real examples because they are too context dependant but it might go something like this: "Nothing personal but those glasses make you look like a fish." Ha, bloody, ha.
Neither Tish or Buddy get him in quite the same way I do, so while I let most of it roll off, it pushes their buttons in a hurry (A response, alas, that he doesn't mind cultivating -remember that Kit is a drama queen). The comment above notwithstanding, some of his wit is really quite funny and quick off the mark. But I can understand getting pissed off if you're looking for a kid to get ready for school and you get a smart aleck remark instead.
I've been trying to coach him to take a second to think about whether the comment is appropriate, both in timing and in content, before it pops out his mouth. I want to encourage his sense of humor, but it's a thin line between rapier wit and cutting insult.
Follow Our Story Right From The Start
- January (28)
- February (25)
- March (29)
- April (28)
- May (26)
- June (7)
- July (3)
- August (4)
- September (28)
- October (23)
- November (26)
- December (26)
- January (20)
- February (25)
- When the student becomes the master
- You Pedal, I'll Steer (part The End)
- The boys are back in town
- I'm Published Again
- Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Grampy
- Chore Chart
- Harvesting disappointment instead of success
- When what we need to do clashes with what we want ...
- And the day isn't over yet...
- The Dogs Life in Pictures
- The times they are 'a changin'
- All for one and one for all!
- When dual personalities conflict
- Honey, they're playing our song!
- You've come a long way, Buddy
- Idle hands are the devil's playthings
- Too much of a fog to blog
- The marriage bed: the most important piece of real...
- The anagram of Doc is OCD
- In the Beginning, some dude created the Heavens an...
- It's a thin line between witty and flippant
- April (16)
- May (13)
- June (15)
- July (16)
- August (19)
- September (7)